You can protect your privacy—both online and in the real world—by taking the steps outlined in the checklist below.
To learn more about specific topics, go to these pages:
How to protect your privacy
- Don’t include sensitive information in email.
- Never click on links within an email.
- Don’t open spam or attachments from strangers.
- Be suspicious of emails asking for personal information.
- Be selective when providing your email address.
Online identity protection
- Update and strengthen the security of your online passwords.
- Use a secure browser and trusted computer for sensitive transactions.
- Log off when you’re done using websites that require a user ID and password.
- Shut down your computer when you’re not using it.
- Lock your computer when it’s not in use.
- Beware of shoulder surfing.
Offline identity protection
- Monitor your postal mail.
- Don’t give out your personal information freely.
- Check your credit report annually.
- Shred documents containing personal information before discarding them.