Acting on our credo—“rethink, rebuild, renew”—New Resource Bank seeks to model sustainability with our LEED Gold–rated headquarters, ongoing initiatives to reduce our resource consumption, community contributions and programs that educate and engage customers.
Here are some of the ways we promote sustainability at the bank and in the community.
Reducing our environmental footprint
- New Resource purchases renewable energy certificates (100 percent wind power) through TerraPass to offset electricity usage and company travel.
- We reuse, recycle and compost in pursuit of our goal to divert 95 percent of our waste from landfill.
- Our Green IT initiative made us one of America’s Greenest Banks in 2010, according to Bank Technology News.
- We buy remanufactured toner cartridges and chlorine-free paper products with 35–100 percent recycled content.
- We promote and subsidize public transit use and commuting alternatives, and offer City CarShare to all employees for meetings and appointments.
Contributing to our community
- We finance green businesses and cleantech companies that are working to make their operations more sustainable. (See Who We Finance for details.)
- Every swipe of a New Resource Bank Planet-Smart Debit Card (standard with every checking account) earns cash for our nonprofit partners. (See Planet-Smart Debit Card for details.)
- We offer reduced rates on nonprofit banking services.
- New Resource employees actively participate in community activities and organizations.
Educating and connecting customers
- Our Sustainability Tool Kit gives business customers tips, techniques, tools and resources for improving their operational sustainability.
- Our periodical re:think speaker/networking series brings industry experts, thought leaders and customers together to foster community, encourage dialogue and expand our sustainability thinking.
- Periodic brown bag lunches give our clients the chance to talk about common issues and potential areas of collaboration.
Sustainability certifications and awards
- Certified B Corporation
- San Francisco–certified Green Business
- LEED Gold headquarters
- Green-e certified offsets
- Outstanding Achievement 2009, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Pacific Southwest region