- about us
protecting your privacy
You can protect your privacy—both online and in the real world—by taking the steps outlined in the checklist below.
To learn more about specific topics, go to these pages:
How to protect your privacy
- Don’t include sensitive information in email.
- Never click on links within an email.
- Don’t open spam or attachments from strangers.
- Be suspicious of emails asking for personal information.
- Be selective when providing your email address.
Online identity protection
- Update and strengthen the security of your online passwords.
- Use a secure browser and trusted computer for sensitive transactions.
- Log off when you’re done using websites that require a user ID and password.
- Shut down your computer when you’re not using it.
- Lock your computer when it’s not in use.
- Beware of shoulder surfing.
Offline identity protection
- Monitor your postal mail.
- Don’t give out your personal information freely.
- Check your credit report annually.
- Shred documents containing personal information before discarding them.